Wednesday 13 March 2019

A Traveler's Notebook Spread with Mixed Media & Stitching

I love using mixed media on traveler's notebook spreads, so I had a lot of fun putting this spread together for Mixed Media Monday on the Hip Kit  Club blog this week.  My assignment was to incorporate machine stitching, and I'm using the beautiful February Hip Kits that feature Pinkfresh Studio's Joyful Day collection,

My cousin has just had a gorgeous baby girl and I wanted to record one of her first photos with her birth details in a spread.  Isn't she the sweetest?!






After I prepared my cardstock base with clear gesso, my first step was to fussy cut some of the layered floral wreaths from the Pinkfresh Studio Big Ideas paper from the February paper add on kit.  

Once I was happy with the arrangement of them on my page I loosely sketched where they were going to sit.  I mixed purple, peach and green watercolours and, using my sketched circles as a guide, painted them in approximate circles extending past the inside and outside of each wreath, and let some of the colour run below where the wreath would sit on each one.  With the leftover watercolours I added some splatters.  I let that dry and watered down a little bit of gesso and splattered that across my page as well.









After that completely dried I picked coordinating colours from my stash of thick machine threads, and stitched messy circles around each wreath.  I love how it gives extra texture and another lay to my spread!


I added some puffy stickers and a couple of phrase stickers from the Project Life kit around the page, and some brief strip journalling printed from my computer, and with that called this spread done.



If you have a sewing machine sitting in the cupboard at home, I really encourage you to go ahead and pull it out and try some stitching on your layouts, it really does add unique and beautiful texture!

Thanks so much for stopping by today,




No comments:

Post a Comment